This architectural work of art is one the world’s largest mosques, with a capacity for an astonishing 40,000 worshippers. It features 82 domes, over a 1,000 columns, 24 carat gold gilded chandeliers and the world’s largest hand knotted carpet. The main prayer hall is dominated by one of the world’s largest chandeliers –10 metres in diameter, 15 metres in height and weighing twelve tonnes. The mosque’s first ceremony was the funeral of its namesake, Sheikh Zayed, who is buried at the site. – VisitAbuDhabi.ae
If you visit Abu Dhabi, you cannot miss out on visiting the famous mosque. The Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque is one of the largest mosques and exceptionally tranquil and stunning. The level of detail from the main courtyard to the pillars within the arches is phenomenal. It is well worth a visit to be blown away by the mesmerising marble architecture.
Tips for your visit to the Grand Mosque
- Free admission to enter the mosque
- Open daily from 9am to 10pm to visitors except on Friday morning, which is for worshippers only.
- Dress Moderately – Men and Women should dress accordingly before going to visit. Long, loose fitting, unrevealing, conservative. As you enter the staff will observe the way you have dress, if it’s not quite to standard they will provide women with a traditional robe called an Abaya as well as a Headscarf.
- Remove Footwear – Before entering the main praying area, please make sure you remove your shoes and socks.
- Be Respectful – Respect the Religion and the Culture. Be aware PDA or certain hand gestures can cause offence.